Follow by Email

Friday, February 17, 2012

What's in Ms. B's Bag?

As if the Friday before February vacation isn't exciting enough, it was also crazy hat day!

My Leprechaun hat put me in a very silly mood which put the kids in a silly mood which made for a very silly Friday! Hey, it's the day before vacation, what do you expect? 

We did manage to get a little learning mixed into the fun today. 
This week we started learning about schema.

I told the kids that schema sticks to our brains like lint on a lint roller and I actually demonstrated by using a lint roller to pick up pieces of paper that had my schema written on them.
Then they wrote down all their own schema. What a smart child this is...notice the schema in brown marker. :)

Today I connected schema to inferencing. We need to activate our schema to make inferences. To illustrate this we played a game called What's in Ms. B's Bag?
I had students pick (pre decided) items out of my bag. 

We wrote them down on the chart and they also used a graphic organizer. 

They they worked in partners to make inferences about me based on the items I carried in my bag. 


I use Brainpop videos to supplement just about every lesson I teach. No joke. Today I used a Brainpop Jr. video. 

To close the lesson we made inferences to solve these cute animal riddles on the Smartboard.


At 5:15 on this fabulous Friday all I can say is Happy February Vacation! 






No comments:

Post a Comment