Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mind your Ps and Qs....

Today was a busy day in 4th grade.

I just recently learned the origin of the saying, "Mind your Ps and Qs".  Apparently it was an old saying used in English pubs to keep tally of how many drinks one was having. As in, mind your pints and quarts. It's all I can think of as I am knee deep in our measuring unit.

We've been learning about capacity this week. The past two days have been spent discussing pints, cups, quarts, gallons, ounces, teaspoons and tablespoons. Even adults have to stop and think about these conversions sometimes, so imagine how tough it is for the kids to understand. This morning was all about letting the kids get their hands on the measuring tools to practice. Armed with a big tub of water, lots of measuring tools and kids eager to "play" we were unstoppable!


We practiced estimating and measuring. Thanks to Dot for writing up the estimation sheet we used!

First, we estimated how many tablespoons of water it would take to fill the cup to the blue line.

Then we actually filled it!

I didn't get any "face-less" shots of the kids actually measuring, my apologies! 

I took all three of my math groups separately to explore the measuring tools. We estimated with mason jars, teaspoons, tablespoons, ounces, cups and pints! It was a real eye opener. Some of their estimations were way off, but by the end of the lesson,  they seemed to be grasping the size of each unit. Yay! 

For reading this week we have been focusing on cause and effect. 

In isolation this seems easy to the kids. However, ask them to read a non-fiction article about hurricanes and highlight examples of cause and effect, and that's another story! I'm sure as we continue to explore this idea and practice, it will get easier. 

Kate let me borrow this book today to help illustrate cause and effect. 




On a different note, Tom sent me an article today that really got me thinking...Confessions of a Bad Teacher
I totally agree with what this man had to say. Read it and let me know your thoughts! 

This teacher is pooped, goodnight, all! 









No comments:

Post a Comment